Question
Posted by: anne | 2009-10-22

Anal Fissures

Please can you help me. At the beginning of the year I had my piles surgically removed. I was fine for a few months, but now it seems that I have a tear that just wont heal.

I have tried prep H, and sheriproct (spelling?) and I even used tissue salts, and it got slightly better with treatment, but now it is back. I tried treating it again, but nothing seems to help.

I will NEVER have the surgery again!!! it was the most painful thing I have ever gone through.

Should I see a specialist doctor, or should I just keep trying to treat it?

Hi Anne
A persistant anal tear can be very painful and irritating and it is difficult to treat. Usually it is caused by spasm of the anal muscle and everytime you have a bowel movement it may open up again. See this article re the treatment of chronic anal tears: http://clinicalevidence.bmj.com/ceweb/conditions/dsd/0407/anal-fissure-standard-ce_patient_leaflet.pdf
I suggest you see your doctor for an evaluation to see how big the tear is and if it can be treated by topical medication rather than a operation.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-10-22

Hi Anne

Reply to cyberdoc