Posted by: painInTheBut | 2011-10-17

anal cancer???

Hi Dr
I am 31 and I am concerned about anal cancer.
I went to my GP regarding itching, burning and sometimes bleeding during bowl movements (even though I am never constipated).
He prescribed anti fungal cream which helped a bit for the skin around my anus but not for the itching and bleeding.
I''ve been struggeling with this for years now. But it seems to be getting worse.
There is a little bump (almost like a mole)
at the edge of my anus. I have had this since childhood.
I know that HPV can cause anal cancer.
I had a pap smear a few months ago and everything was normal.
Is it possible to have a pap smear test come back normal, but still have HPV (in anus for example)?
How can I be sure that I don''t have HPV?
Which tests must I ask for?

So I guess it comes down to 2 questions:
1) How can you be sure you do not have HPV of any kind?
2) How do you distinguish between hemorroihds and anal cancer?

I think that you have anal pruritis and I suggest that you consult a proctologist for an examination. Your doctor can test you for antibodies against HPV.