Question
Posted by: picksi | 2009/11/20

Anal

is anal sex (not regular maybe 1x month) ok ito health risks, ie is it true it will cause cancer. After having done it occasionally over a long space of time the last time my husband and i engaged i had some slight bleeding from the anal for about 2 wks afterwards? not sore there just uncomfortable, now i am worried that i am at risk of cancer or something else because of this session? we are in a safe steady relationship otherwise.

Expert ImageAgeing and Sexuality expert

There is no link that I know of between anal sex and increased risk or incidence of cancer. Anal sex has a high risk of HIV/STI transmission which is why there is so much caution around it. Of course people who engage in sex on a daily/ anal only sexual basis stand a risk of damaging the anus and the colon due to ongoing stretching.
Bleeding is common which is why it is high risk sexual activity - exchange of blood can be dangerous. Bleeding occurs due to tearing of tiny blood vessels inside the anus.
It is essential that you use a lot of lubricant and a condom. Read up on practicing safer anal sex - Jack Morin has an excellent book on anal sex for women so i suggest you learn from his work.

2
Posted by: Willie | 2010/01/20

I do not understand the need of people to have anal sex, it is not natural, nowhere to be seen in animals.

Reply to Willie
Posted by: Ageing and Sexuality expert | 2009/11/28

Reply to Ageing and Sexuality expert