Question
Posted by: Annelize | 2011/06/27

Anaesthetic for keyhole surgery? General, Epidural or local (ice)?

Good Day

I have to make a decision soon about whether or not I want to have key-hole surgery to drain a functional, benign cyst. The only symptom I have is menstrual irregularity.

I would like to know whether key-hole surgery for a small (4cm) ovarian cyst MUST always be done under general anaesthetic. (Fifteen years ago I had a cone biopsy under LOCAL anaesthetic and was perfectly fine during the laser surgery procedure).

I would prefer to have a local anaesthetic (or even ice) because I do not want to wake up to find that MORE than just the cyst has been removed.

What are my options?

Local anaesthetic would not be possible and I am not sure whether an epidural would be possible as you are tilted head down for the surgery and this is generally not good for an epidural. You would have to check with an anaesthetist.

1