Question
Posted by: swg | 2009-01-20

anaesthesia

Hello doctor

I was wondering if there had been a huge breakthru in the administration of general anaesthesia in the past few years?
I' ve had my fair share of ops (2 x thyroid, an osteotomy, shoulder surgery and now dental surgery) Because in the past I' ve always felt tired and nauseous with no appetite. But with my shoulder surgery in 2007 there was definately a change to how i felt with all my previous ops. i thought maybe it was becaue it was keyhole surgery. But I had oral surgery last week - and i' ve never felt better. I was under for atleast 70 to 80 minutes and i was fine. i didnt feel ill when i woke up in recovery. i had no probelm scoffing down the jelly i had to eat before being leaving. I always mention to the doctor that anaeathetic makes me feel nauseos. and i' ve been in surgery with both the surgeon and aneasthetits. Not sure if it makes a difference but I did not have a pre med for the last two surgeries.

kind regards

swg

Dear swg
They probably used a new kind of anaesthetic called Diprivan - it is given intravenously. The nice thing about this is, that as soon as the drip stops, you wake up and it does not cause nausea. Some of the older inhalation anaesthetics are soluble/stored in fat, and gives you a "hang-over" for hours to days after the anaesthetic