Question
Posted by: hestia | 2011/01/31

Anaestesia

There is a possibility that I may need to go for a nose operation. I recently had a belly button ring and can not remove it when I am getting anaesthesia. Is it possible to leave in the belly button ring or MUST it be removed? thank you

Hallo Hestia
In addition to the possibility of injury should the ring hook to some portion of the drape or on the theatre bed itself, there is a risk of burns if an electrosurgical unit (cautery machine) is used. If it can't be removed, the theatre sister should definitely be informed, so that they can try to isolate the ring from the skin and cover it with a plaster.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/31

Hallo Hestia