Question
Posted by: anon | 2009-06-29

anaemic

I was recently hospitalised with pneumonia, a full blood count was done and the doctor said that I was aneamic, he did another blood test which confirmed that I had an iron deficiency.
It makes sense, I am dizzy all the time, out of breathe and feel faint.My eyelid linings are bluish and I feel weak and tired all the time. I am currently taking vital iron medication, which contains iron, vitam b-something and vitamin c, I would just like to know if this is sufficient, how long will I have to take this, are there any dangers and if I wanted to get pregnant would there be any possible dangers for the unborn child ?The doctor advised me thtat I would need to take iron tablets for at least 3 months

Dear Anon
Your HB count will go up one point for each month you take iron ( it should be around 12 to be normal) When you are pregnant you need optimal oxygen and nutrients to get to the baby via the blood so it is better to have a good HB before you get pregnant. Your body also needs more oxygen when carrying a baby, so for the mother it is also better not to be anemic.