Question
Posted by: AJ | 2010-12-16

Anaemia ,Heart &  Weight

I have been diagnosed with Chronic Anaemia ( I am a blood donor) earlier this year and have build up sufficient iron levels to start donating again. What is the relationship between the heart and anaemia. I enjoy jogging, but am very tired after a session and have to sleep it off. Is there also a correlation between anaemia, the heart and weight gain. At times it feels that I am gaining weight eventhough my eating patterns hasn''t changed. My heart is at times also racing eventhough I have done nothing too strenuous. Please help!

Hallo AJ
If you are anaemic, your heart has to work harder to provide oxygen rich blood to the tissues, as the iron containing hemoglobin in red blood cells carry oxygen to the cells in your body. If you don't have enough of that, your heart has to pump more blood through the body to get the same effect. If you know that you tend to develop anaemia, you should maybe cut down on donating blood to give your body time to build up enough iron stores in between. Heart failure can cause "weight gain", due to fluid retention in the body. A racing heart can be caused by anaemia but you should also check for rythm irregularities by doing an ECG.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-12-16

Hallo AJ
dr Bets