Posted by: Sue | 2011-09-19

Hi Doc,

I am a regular blood donor, but discovered since donating (I started at the beginning of last year), that I am usually anaemic. My first donation my iron count was around 13, it went down steadily until I was deferred for my 3rd donation. I was advised to supplement with iron tabs - these did nothing, so I then started taking black strap mollasses (vile stuff!) every morning. This helps a little, but still my iron is very low. I went on Friday to donate, only to be deferred again because my iron levels are on 10. My body doesnt seem to absorb iron from the foods I eat (healthy eater, not vegetarian), and iron supplements dont work, and the blackstrap isn''t giving me enough iron either. I dont drink much coffee or tea (1 cup a day). I''ve always battled with anaemia for some reason, but what causes this? And what can I do to rectify it? I''m always tired too, which is very irritating.
I''m 41 (female) and a single mom who works. Under a fair amount of stress at any given time.
Thanks for the help

You will have to consult your doctor to establish if your body is not absorbing iron as it should or if you are loosing blood due to bleeding, like for instance from colorectal bleeding that is not necessarily noticed. There are a variety of tests that have to be done, in order to treat your anemia.

Posted by: PP | 2011-09-20

I had the same problem too. It is better now though, even though I am not 100% ok. I couldn''t stand strap mollasses at all. I was advised by the doctors to take Ferrimed which is high in iron and it helped a lot. It could be that your body does not absorb iron and Vitamin C could also help in this regard and Vitamin B complex.
It could also be other factors like losing a lot of blood during your periods or an accident or stomach ulcers and others, then you will definitely have to see a doctor asap to do the tests to find out how you are losing iron.

I hope you will find a solution soon. It is very frustrating to live a life where you are constantly exhausted...

Reply to PP