Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2011-03-17

An extreme diet

I''m an actress and I''ve recently been given the role of a women who suffers with annorexia. I need to lose a lot of weight quickly. I''ve been told to cut protein and carbs from my diet. Is this dangerous for my health? Do you have another option? My BMI is 18 naturally.

Dear Lauren
Oh dear. While I can fully understand the demands of work, I still think it is a disaster that when your present BMI is already so low at 18, that you now have to lose even more weight for this role. Basically you will have to cut down on all your food intake (what a horror) and especially fats (37 kJ per gram). Cutting down on carbs (16 kJ per gram) will make you exhausted and cutting down on protein (17 kJ per gram) will make your body lose lean muscle tissue which can be most destructive. Use low-fat shakes for 2 meals a day, to reduce your energy intake (I can’t believe that I am telling a Reader to do something like this!) and prevent deficiencies by taking Centrum or Supradyn Forte and a calcium supplement like Caltrate or MenaCal.7.
I wish you could refuse this role, but I suppose work in the arts is scarce to come by and you will don't have much choice. Make quite sure that you don't lose too much weight because it will have a very negative effect on your health and metabolism. Starvation leads to loss of normal menstruation, deficiency diseases, brittle bones, lack of energy, anaemia, exhaustion, etc. Tell the producer you are already close to anorexic and they need to use makeup to get the point across! And challenge him or her to lose the same amount of weight as you do!
Holding thumbs for you - keep in mind, that no role is worth your health and vigour.
Take great care

8
Posted by: previous anorexic | 2011-03-29

Hi, i agree, this info should come off the web. I am an ex-bulimic and anorexic. This kind of info an play havoc with one''s mind. My BMI is 20 and because i am unable to train 2x a day like i normally do due to an injury, I am stressed, paranoid and uncomfortable. I have embarked on a very healthy eating plan to try and take the guilt away from eating normal fod, BUT this kind of info makes me think that this is easy!

Reply to previous anorexic
Posted by: sanatan | 2011-03-28

Dear Lauren,

Thanks for your response. Why am I trying to reach a BMI of 14? Surprisingly I find that I have a better fitness level when my BMI is 14. And I don''t seem to face any health problems. Probably something to do with my ectomorphic build. But it needs discipline and will power to bring my BMI down to 14.

Reply to sanatan
Posted by: Lauren | 2011-03-24

Dear Sanatan,

I don''t know why you are trying to get your BMI down to 14, and it''s none of my business, but I think you should re-read the doc''s warning about long-term health issues what this has on the human body. I''m planning on (as soon as my shoot is over and my weight comes back to normal) gaining some weight.

Reply to Lauren
Posted by: Lauren | 2011-03-24

Dear DietDoc,

Thak-you so much for your advice. You''ve actually frightened me to seek expert advice throughout the filming and weight-loss process. So I''ve contacted a local Dietician, who will be consulting with me closely during this time. She is also very concerned for my health.
Although your advice to me was invaluable, I think it might be best to take this information off the site.

Thank-you again.

Reply to Lauren
Posted by: sanatan | 2011-03-19

You have mentioned that your present BMI is 18 and you have been asked to quickly reduce it further. The important question is what is the BMI you plan to reach? My present BMI is 16 and I am trying to come down to 14. So seems we are on a similar trip. I can be contacted at sanatan dot mukherjee at yahoo dot co dot in

Reply to sanatan
Posted by: sanatan | 2011-03-19

Reply to sanatan
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-03-17

I can figure out if you serious or not?

Your BMI is already very low.. borderline on too low.

I would not attemp this without profesional help. A dietrician to guide you.

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS ROLE.. You can suffer long term effects.

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-03-17

Dear Lauren
Take great care