Question
Posted by: Ann | 2012-05-08

amoclav BD 1000mg and excruciating cramping

I am not allergic to penicillin yet the last two times I have been on amoclav BD 1000mg I have experienced bad leg cramps. I am now on it again for 5 days and after the first tablet I woke up with excruciating cramping worse than ever before.
In the past I would drink energade to relieve cramping from it but this time nothing has helped.
Can you please tell me why this happens?
My concern is because I have found in summer after exercising and perspiring heavily I would get cramps and I found energade would help.
How will this added cramping from the tablets affect me while exercising now.
Thank you for your advice

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Ann

Although being a known adverse effect, the exact frequency of occurrence and reason for this is not known. It is however suggested that any individual taking this type of antibiotic should seek medical attention if they experience pain (i.e. back, side, legs, joints or muscles) - in my opinion you should try to be switched over to a different product.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012-05-09

Hi Ann

Reply to pharmacist