Posted by: PREGGIES | 2009-01-12

I am 38 years old and 16weeks pregnant.

Taking my age in consideration, would it be necessay to have an Amniocentesis and where in Cape Town can I have this test done?

The goverment clinic which I am attending does not consider Amniocentesis tests necessary, unless it is urgent.

You could first have a screening test - the triple test - to determine your risk. If you want to know for sure, then an amnio would be necessary. Remember that there is a 1% miscarriage risk with this. If you wish to see someone privately, try the Fetal Assessment Centre.

Posted by: Leila | 2009-01-13

You first have to go for the scan and then a blood test, before doing an amnio. If its not necessary or you still wouldnt consider abortion regardless of the income, I wouldn' t advise it. I went into labour after my amnio, its extremely painful. Luckily my daughter is fine. First check the scan and blood ratio and then decide.

Reply to Leila