Question
Posted by: worried mom-to be??? | 2008/10/06

Amniocentesis

I' m 32yrs old and 18weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby and my anomality tests showed that I' m positive with triosomy 21 which means a baby might have a down syndrome. I' t like to know how accurate are the anomality test and how important is it for me as a patient to have an Amniocentesis and with it' s risks, won' t I be traumatisisng the baby? How well should I prepare myself because I' m planning to have this test on Wednesday, 09/10/08?

You are usually given a figure, e.g. 1 in a 100. This is your chance of having a baby with Down syndrome. The main risk of amniocentesis is miscarriage due to the uterus contracting. The baby is not traumatised. The test itself ids not particularly painful.