Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2012-08-15

Amendment of RDI of fatty acids - your opinion

Dear Doc

From peer-reviewed literature the link between the current excessive intake of omega-6 fatty acids and T2D, CVD and cancer is now quite firmly established and a high omega-6:omega-3 ratio positively linked with high tissue n-6 levels and coronary disease mortality (saturated fat and cholesterol devilified - see papers by Bill Lands and Aretemis Simopoulos). Yet dietary recommendations from IOM, USDA etc have not been updated to include the reduced intake of omega-6. What is your opinion on this?

Dear Racoon
As you well know, legislation and government pronouncements take a very long time to be promulgated, esp in the health field. So although I agree that there is an urgent need to encourage the reduction of omega-6 and/or increase omega-3 intakes of our populations, I am sure that it will take a relatively long time for the powers that be to get their act together.
In the meanwhile we can but encourage people not to take omega-6 supplements, but to rather use omega-3 and to eat fish 2-3 times a week (until the fish stocks run out!).

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-08-16

Dear Racoon