Posted by: Diana | 2012-11-06

Ambitious husband keeps pushing me to make decisions

My husband has become very ambitious in the past few years and he is almost forcing me to make decisions like telling me to buy properties to rent out and becoming a director of one of his companies for tax reasons. I don''t feel comfortable with these kind of business decisions especially the one about being a director as I know it comes with big responsibilities. I feel like he is manipulating me into these business decisions as he often says he is dissapointed in me and that I have let him down by not being as ambitious as him and wanting to own an empire. Its not like we really need the money in any case as our finances are favourable at the moment. I am so misearable at the moment in our marriage as it seems all he wants to do at the moment is be like Donald Trump. I don''t want to be poor but I think there''s alot more to life than money. I feel quite distant lately from him, he is not the person I married. What should I do?

His ambitions as regards what he himself could achieve are fine, but pushing you to buy properties etc., sounds way over the top - that sounds much more like him trying to force you to spend YOUR money and efort for his benefit. And that's not so justifiable. Wanting to own an empire is often a greedy impulse, and can lead someone into shady or even illegal business practices. You are absolutely right that there's so much in life that is not about money. People who focus only on money never feel they have enough and never get happy from it. Can you push him towards agreeing to join you in proper marriage counselling ?