Posted by: Tina | 2009-04-06

Am I Wheat or Gluten intolerant?

I have recently realsied that Pasta (especially) and other high-starch foods give me terrible gas. Am I intolerant to something?

I only really picked up on this now, as my partner and I are fasting whereby we don' t eat any meat (except seafoods). This has obviously " forced"  us into eating more starch, and we both find that we are experiencing constipation and flatulence which has been rather uncomfortable.

Please advise.

Dear Tina
I must admit that I am surprised that you and your partner are more constipated if you are eating wholewheat or unprocessed grains and starches. If you are eating mainly highly processed grains, bread and starches, then it is possible that you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) of the constipation variety. I don't think that you are both allergic to wheat, but you may both have IBS. Try to add more dietary fibre to your diet and click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read Articles 123 and 124 about healthy colon practices, you will see what to eat to keep your colon healthy. I would recommend that you try ‘Bifidoflora’ which you can buy at health shops or dietitians as a probiotic to assist with constipation.