Question
Posted by: Kayla | 2010/11/08

Am I too old?

I am going to be 38 in April 2010 am I too old to have my 1st baby? and what are the risks to my child?

You are not too old, but there is a higher chance of having a baby with Down syndrome. This can be tested for when you are pregnant.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2010/11/08

You''re not too old, though you might have difficulty conceiving, but speak to your gynae about that as there are options to assist you.
Start by recording the dates of your periods each month and the length of your cycles.

There is a higher risk of downs syndrome for your baby but a scan and blood tests will be done to determine your baby''s risk between 10 and 13 weeks. If the risk is quite high (and your age will put it higher) then you will be offered an amniosentecis to tell you if the baby does have downs syndrome or not.

There are plenty people who have their first baby in their late thirties and even their early forties.

Reply to Purple