Question
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-03-10

Am I the Only One?

I just don' t understand when people post threads when their dogs/cats have been suffering from some form of illness, whether it is coughing badly, limping, not eating etc. that they don' t either phone their vet or go to their vet immediately. I can understand behavioural problems etc but not the aforementioned.

Am I the only one who thinks so? I go to the vet imediately something is wrong and I can' t put my finger on it and it is always that they need some form of treatment.

Would like to hear others points of view.

Dear Cat Lady

I suspect people are cautious to spend money. If they can avoid going to a vet it will save them lots of money. You do however get people that should have contacted a vet at the start of a serious illness. I get people phoning me in the middle of the night asking my opinion on treating a parvo puppy with dettol in milk? People have so many different opinions on what is ethical, serious, etc...

6
Posted by: Honde en Katte dame | 2009-03-11

Ek stem saam, by ons is hier n vet, hy voel vere of jy n pensioennares is of nie, maar betaal sal jy betaal, en geen afslag nie, en ook nie op n afbetaalde tydperk nie, al ken hy jou hoe goed. Ek het 5katte en honde, so ja dit is n redelike hap uit jou geldsak as hulle iets oorkom. So ruk terug het een van my katte siek geword, ek is na die vet, en wat hy gewoonlik se is"  die kat of hond sal moet oornag gehou word vir opservasie"  en toetse sal moet gedoen word. Alles sal so +- R2000. kos.

Ek het gelukkig deur n vriendin van my by n ander vet opgedaag met die kat, sy het haar pille gekry inspuit, en n opvolg besoek, als het my R250.00 gekos, die troeteldier het nie eens oornag nie, dadelik is die probleem gekry, diagnose gemaak en ek en Barcadi is huis toe. So al is die een vet net bo op die hoek van my, kry ek nou gewoonlik net die diere se kos daar, kos die selfde as by ander veartse, asook inentings is dieselfde. As daar egter n groter probleem is, ry ek nie paar km na die ander wonderlike mens vearts toe, En pla jy hom in die aand vir n noodgeval, sal dit jou by die R220. kos, en n opvolg besoek ingesluit. En ek het ook al 2van my reuntjies reg gemaak, en hom afbetaal in 3md!!!!

So party dink hulle kan geld uit jou maak. En die regte Veartse gee om vir dier en mens, help jou waar hy kan, en geld kom nie eerste by hom op nie!!!!!!

Reply to Honde en Katte dame
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-03-11

I agree totally. You don' t get questions on the partenting corner like: " My 2 year old son stopped eating 2 weeks ago. Should I be worried?"  or " My 5 year old daughter was hit by a car and is now limping. Should I take her to the doctor?" 

REALLY! It' s plain common sense!

Remember that woman a while ago whose hamster had a badly broken leg and she wanted to know what she could do? GEEEEEZZ!! DUH!

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-03-10

Shanie I feel sorry for you and your pets. I have 14 cats and 5 dogs and yes, my husband also moans about the vet bills (he also moans about water accounts, electricity etc) but I don' t take any notice. (I have however, promised him not to replace any more animals as most of mine are now geriatric as I now am getting to the age where I find it more difficult to give each one the attention they deserve as I am going through a lot of weird maladies. (Yes, he moans about doctors bills as well). I don t know if you are a pensioner or not but if you are you can ask for a reduced rate or if you can pay in instalments. We get a hefty discount because we are a) pensioners (although my husband still works - says to all and sundry he has to work for the cats and dogs) and b) he loves the animals to death (no pun intended). As for Cybervet being phoned in he middle of the night for a problem that could have been asked during the day, I can understand his frustrations too.

I would suggest seriously that if you have a problem with your pets, you phone the vet first and ask him if it could be serious. We have extremely dedicated vets here and they never mind if I phone them and ask a question (during the day ofcourse). Also find a vet who is more sympathetic to your cause.

Good luck.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Chill | 2009-03-10

I agree with you, Catlady - I take my responsibility towards my animals very seriously and never mess around.

However, I do believe we sometimes forget that for those of us who have grown up with a ' culture'  of pets who we love and look after and go to great lengths for, not everyone shares this background. It' s very easy to condemn those who seem to take a cavalier attitude towards their animals'  wellbeing - and trust me, if I encounter one of them in the flesh, I will explain in great detail where I think they' re going wrong - but if you have grown up not knowing that dogs and cats have feelings, and suffer pain and stress and trauma, then I guess one' s experience simply doesn' t cater for treating them as you and I think they ought to. In cases like that, condemning them too harshly isn' t likely to change their attitudes much - what' s needed is help and education.

That' s besides the financial aspect, of course....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-03-10

I agree with you , we also struggle financially, but as long as I have animals dependant on me they will come first.

I have several home remedies etc that I always use first for basic problems like the runs, constipation, snuffles , minor wounds etc.

But serious problems get seen to immediately.

I dont know about the rest of the country but here in KZN I have 3 vets that accept payment plans , they also dont charge the maximum , I think people need to negotiate a bit with their vets.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Shanie | 2009-03-10

Cat Lady, if I could I would take my pets to the vet, but unfortunatley I have a husband that doesn t believe in taking dogs to the vet as it costs money that is not necessary (as he thinks). It ends up in us fighting and I' m always losing the fight. I can' t afford to take my dogs and therefore have to ask my husband for the money to pay for the visit and as you are probably aware, vets are expensive and they have to make a living and I understand that completely. I am so relief that there are people to look after our pets when they are sick, but I am not always in the position to take my dogs even though I want to very badly.

Reply to Shanie