Posted by: Bear | 2008-12-10

Am I taking too much?

Hi there,
I take a very ' healthy'  dose of daily supplements, which consists of the following:
- 2x Omega 3 [1000mg]
- 1x DS24 [for folic acid, it' s the RDA]
- 2x Patrick Holford multi-vitamin [optimum nutrition]
- 2x Calcium with vitamin D [Dischem]
- 4x Bio-Cellutonic [BioHarmony]
If I look at the combination, it gives me all my Calcium RDA' s, but is this too much?
I am 29 years of age, physically active [4x a week for 1 hour] and eat very healthily.
Please advise.

Dear Kerry
If you do eat a healthy balanced diet then it is not really necessary to take all these supplements. The latest research into the link between the use of calcium supplements indicates that you need to take calcium supplements which contain both vitamin D (as you already do) and vitamin K2 (e.g. products like MenaCal.7). However if you have 3 cups of low-fat milk or yoghurt a day plus plenty of leafy green vegetables like broccoli and also spend about 20 min a day in the sun so that you body can make its own vit D, then you would not need to take a calcium supplement. I would rather try to obtain my nutrients from natural foods and I would certainly reduce my intake of all these supplements.