Posted by: Maryna | 2008-11-10

Am I suffering from depression?

Dear Doc,

I am about 28 weeks pregant with my second child. I am 25 years of age and have recently been feeling a all time low. I struggle to work through traumatic events that have happened in my life, I have also discovered that I have difficulty in sleeping, I thought this was just from the severe heartburn, but even now that I have medication for that, I still don' t sleep at night. I am always tired, have little or no energy and cry constantly. I am afraid that if I do suffer from depression and do not get help soon, I will end up losing my husband as well as my children. I have considered suicide, but have not attempted. I have been having thoughts about hurting my children or myself just to replace the constant pain and neglect. I feel abandoned within and nobody understands me. I feel like a total dissappointment, even to my deceased mother. Can you please help?????

DO arrange to see a good local psychiatrist as soon as is practical, for a proper assessment and treatment advice. YOu nsound significantly Depressed, a condition that is common, and more so during pregnancy, but which responds well to treatment. However, during pregnancy, one needs to assess this carefully, so as to maximally protect the child and the mother. You are not the disappointment to others that you feel, and with the proper help, which you so richly deserve, you can be feeling a great deal better before long.