Question
Posted by: dw | 2012/06/06

am I stupid??

Hi doc... I have been treated for social phobia for the past 5 years. I have been on different anti depro''s but am now on Valdoxan which seems to keep my anxiety under control. For the past year I have noticed a new problem that has emerged...I cant speak properly. There is so much I want to say, but when I talk it comes out all mumble jumble and I often cant find the words to express myself. So now I would rather keep quiet than talk because of this. I feel stupid. What would you suggest I do? Go back to my psychiatrist or seek a speech therapist or maybe I have a neurological disorder?? Thanks doc.

I'd start by discussing this with your shrink, to mclarify the precise nature of the problem. If one feels socially anxious and shy, one may get into the habit of mumbling, for fear of people being critical of whatever you say. If this is the case, seeing a psychologist for CBT to reduce the anxiety in such situation could help a lot.
Anxiety in such social situations also often makes i harder to find the words you know and need at that precise time.
Neurological disorders are possible, but probably unlikely here, and your psychiatrist should be capable of checking for those, and re-assuring you. Speech therapy would only be a good idea if you were referred by a shrink, as they deal well with specific primary speech problems, rather than those caused by other issues ( like anxiety or depression ) which need to be treated first. Treating that underlying problem usually clears up the speech difficulties without any need for speech therapy.

2
Posted by: Maria | 2012/06/06

I tend to mumble when I''m depressed. People asking me to repeat what I said frequently is a warning sign for me.

Reply to Maria