Question
Posted by: Asemay | 2009-08-05

Am I still sick?

Dear Doc,
Whenever I get a cold/flu I start with the usual aches/pains, often get a sore throat and maybe a cough. Along with this for about 2 or 3 days I feel sick (as in tired and incomfortable etc). Everytime this happens, on about the 3 or 4th day I feel great again and then I start with the itching, runng nose and sneezing and sounding horrendously bunged up and ill. But, I feel great adn have no fever etc. At this point, am I still sick? and am i likely contagious? I' m not particularly prone to allergies, though I sometimes get them. (just noted this as the itchy nose sometimes makes me wonder if is allergies and if so, why it comes on then).

thanks.

Dear Asemay
You may have an underlying allergy with allergic rhinitis, which can become worse after a cold or flu. Typically allergic rhinitis causes a thin watery mucous and stuffiness of the nose, with itching of the nose and eyes. You can try using an antihistamine like Loratidine and cortisone nose spray like Beclate aqeous. If you have a cold - burning nose and throat, thick secretions sore throat etc, you are usually infective from 1 day before symptoms start to about 7 days afterwards