Question
Posted by: Peterpan | 2008/09/09

Am I related to myfuture wife?

I am engaged and planning to get married next year.
I my girlfriend real father has the same surname as my mother but we don' t think they know each other at al. Is there a possibility we could be related? How far down the line would be a safe related situation? Do we need to go for blood tests? How much would that cost?

Dear Peterpan
Marrying close family - including mother, father, brother, sister, uncles, aunts and first cousins - can potentially increase the risk of familial diseases or genetic disorders in children. Any relations beyond these would probably not cause greater risk. In different cultures intermarriage may also be culturally unacceptable. Your Mom would probably have known if they were related?

2
Posted by: Dr Bets | 2008/09/10

Dear Peterpan
You can definitely do a DNA test at a genetic lab - most academic hospitals have such a department and the bigger private labs would probably also be able to see if you are related by blood.
I have no idea what the cost would be though

Reply to Dr Bets
Posted by: Peterpan | 2008/09/10

I am sure they would have know if they where close related, But the only thing that worries me is that having children and finding out about disorders and so forth. Do you think we should rather get our blood tested to be safe?
I must say it did come to a shock to me when I found out that her real dad surname was the same as my mothers. I felt very uncomfortable with it. It almost felt like I was sleeping with my cousin or something. I never thought that that would be possible though.

Reply to Peterpan