Question
Posted by: EXHAUSTED | 2010/09/10

Am I really mad or am I looking for attention?

Hi Prof, I dont know if I have a question or not  I just want your opinion. I continuously doubt myself and my family makes things worse. I come across as a stupid, lazy, joke. I am seeing a therapist weekly and don''t have their support and understanding. To them everything is about money and all they think is that my therapisr (as well as all others) are only in this profession because of the money! Finally my problems/issues jave been validated by a professional, but my family still don''t take my " illness"  serious and this hurts intensely. I have always had a social phobia which has gotten worse as I got older. My anxiety about being amongst people has made me hide in my bedroom. I only go to work and back. It is the early hours of the morning, and I am anxious about today as it is a religious festival. I can''t help feeling like an outsider. It feels as if my head is separate from my body, i feel dead, empty, sad and frustrated. While other people are going to enjoy the day, i on the other hand feel like a freak who doesn''t belong and am going to lock myself in my room. I am living in my own personal hell and all my family thinks is that i am behaving stupid for a grownup woman.

Any therapist who enters the profession to make much money is deluded. The only rich therapists I have known, over the years, were rich to start with. However, I hope that your therapist is using modern methods, validated by good research, to deal wioth your problems. CBT ( Cog nitive-behaviour therapy usually clears up social anxiety rather quickly, for instance, whereas psychoanalytical methods can take years without necessarily producing benefits.
I wonder whether there may be a depression or anxiety disorder present, too, which might be improved by a careful assessment and diagnosis, and proper medicinal as well as CBT treatment.
I have no doubt that your problems as real and genuine, and that they can respond well to proper treatment.
It's unfortunate if your family do not understand and are not supportive, unfortunately this is not an uncommon situation - but fortunately neither their understanding nor their support is needed for you to be able to get better, if you are receiving the right sort of expert help
And as Liza says, check out the Depression ? Anxiety Support Group, and there should be a group near you, which could be understanding and supportive

2
Posted by: Liza | 2010/09/10

Doesn''t seem to me like you''re either mad or looking for attention. It does however sound like you''re having a bit of a depression problem. Perhaps you should see a psychiatrist as well to find out whether you might have a chemical imbalance that needs to be treated with meds?

People who have never experienced true depression don''t know what it feels like. They think that their own little bits of sadness are the same as depression - and it''s definitely not the same. It''s far, far worse. With true depression a person definitely cannot just snap out of it! The feeling that your head is separated from your body is called disassociation. I also experience that when things don''t go well. Usually it means that I need to change my meds. (I''m bipolar)

Just remember that you aren''t alone. You can call the Depression and Anxiety helpline to find support groups in your area. The number is at the top of the webpage.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza