Posted by: DTBM | 2012-05-30

Am I Ovulating?

I am on day 13 of my cycle and been doing the ovulation urine tests since day 9 (I missed checking on day 10 I think) so far there has been no indication of the LH surge. Other times I have done these tests around day 12 or 13 but they dont show any results either.
Sometimes about 4-7 days before my period comes, I experience cramps in the ovary area, sometimes breast tenderness and sometimes headaches. Could I be ovulating late? I plan to test every day until I get the LH surge result or my next period arrives. I plan to start on Clomid in my next cycle.

Someone said that you cannot have a period if you are not ovulating but I dont believe that is true... am I correct?

As mentioned in your previous question, there is a blood test that you can do in the mid-luteal phase of your menstrual cycle; this blood test is a progesterone test. If the progesterone test is high, then you have ovulated in that particular cycle. The other method of determining is ovulation is taking place if there is a discrepancy in the urine test kits would be to do serial ultrasound monitoring. To answer your question whether someone cannot ovulate and still see their period is true, that does not necessarily mean that if you are seeing your period that you are always ovulating.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo