Question
Posted by: Bron | 2009-01-30

am I ovulating

How can I be sure that I am actually ovulating? Besides the usual rise in temperature and disharge is there any other way to determine if eggs are being released? Can it be tested, by an over the counter product or via a DR.

I know very heavy, painful and irregular periods can indicate a person is not ovulating?

Dear Bron

None of the method that you have described i.e. temperature monitoring and cervical mucus assessment are of any clinical reliability. My advice would be to use the urine LH home testing kits, which are far more reliable and accurate and will predict ovulation in advance. An example of such a kit is Clearplan and this can be obtained over the counter.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-30

Ps. Rather go have urself examined by a gynae. U might have polycystic ovaries (PCOS). Some of the symptoms are as you described. Google PCOS and read up on it.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-30

Hi. U can buy an ovulation kit from most pharmacies for +- r200 or you can have a blood test done.