Posted by: Alexa | 2013-02-13

Am i overreacting?

Im supposed to start working soon in my very first job as a maths teacher. From my experience school staff is usually very helpful to new comers and try to make you feel right at home. but I''ve also noticed that most schools I''ve practised at emphasise religion alot and most of the staff if not all are christian, even though its a public school and open to all. The problem is that im not a christian, im not dedicated to any religion really, and i dont know what i should do once i start working. im afraid if im honest about this the school will make my life hell and ill be forced to leave, or perhaps a parent will find out and refuse to keep their child in my class and the school will side with them, leaving me to fend for myself. all my life ive been keeping my religious views a secret because im so afraid of being completey rejected. there are people(christians) ive been friends with for years who have no idea about my religious views because as soon as it comes up i change the subject. but i feel i will be lying to my school if i dont say anything. are my fears irrational? or should i just dodge the subject for the rest of my life?

I am certain that NO school should ever be allowed to nose into teacher's ( or indeed pupils's ) private business, which includes religious beliefs, sexual orientation ot political views. It would be outrageous for any parent to remove a child from the class of a good teacher, because of disagreement with the teacher's religious, political, or other views.
If any teacher was asked to leave because of the nature of their religious views, including their Constitutionally guaranteed right not to have any, that would be utterly unacceptable and the school I'm sure could be successfully sued for malpractice, unfair dismissal, and had up by the Human Rights Commission.
Everyone has the right to their own views, but NOT to impose them on others, or to discriminate on that basis.
Any school or other institution which makes any teacher or pupil feel apprehensive or at risk because of holding different views, would have gone beyond holding their own religious beliefs, and would have begun to become religious fanatics and bigots.
In fact, I doubt that they would ask you, and if they did, I'd say " I don't believe it is proper to talk about one's private beliefs."

Posted by: DAN | 2013-02-13

I think keep it to yourself ,why tell anybody that is private and those not have anything to do with your school or your friends ,it will not label u as a bad or good teacher so why tell.

Reply to DAN
Posted by: Maria | 2013-02-13

Alexa I wish I had an answer for you. The overt Christianity at my daughter''s school also irks me, but what can you do? She knows her dad and I are not religious, but she follows the friends at school in identifying her own religious beliefs. I think the worst that might happen if you''re honest about your spirituality is that people might try and convert you to Christianity.

Reply to Maria