Posted by: Aims | 2011-02-28

Am I on the right track!

I need to loose about 12kg.. I''ve been diagnose with IBS but seeing a specialist mid March.
What I would like to know is if I''m on the right track regarding exercise. I cycle (stationery) for 30min which gives me about 11km depending on how fast I paddle, I try to stay above the speed of 25. While cycling I use loose weights and do a bit of arms, after cycling I do gym, we''ve got a mult-gym at home and I do arms, back &  legs for another 30min, I do very the type of exercise I do.

Your comments and advice would be highly appreciated.
p.s. I''ve been doing this for about 3 weeks now and eating correctly without loosing 100g!!

Hi Aims

Weight loss is the result of many factors. First, there is diet, and I can't emphasize strongly enough how important diet is. You can train all you want but if you don't also eat very well, you won't lose weight, and so I encourage you to see a dietician or find a good diet if you are serious.

As far as exercise goes, it is the cardio training, like cycling, running, stepping, aerobics, walking etc. that is most helpful in losing weight. All these activities cause heart rate to go up, and are increasing your body's metabolic rate, which ultimately causes you to lose weight by burning more fat (again, assuming you are also eating well).

So I would say you should continue with what you are doing, keep focused on the cardio. I think that 4 times a week is the minimum you should aim to exercise, five is probably the ideal number, but four is fine too. The intensity you train is also very important. A lot of times, people train a little too easy, perhaps. I am not saying you should go out and push super hard and exhaust yourself every day, but stepping up the intensity once or twice a week is certainly a good thing. You should aim for a total of 45 minutes or so (anything between 30 and 50 minutes is a good average), and you should finish each session feeling tired, but not exhausted. In terms of time then, your session is about right. The intensity is important though, and that's something to consider.

Finally, the weight training is also beneficial, though it has a different effect - by doing weight training, you increase your muscle mass, and that means that you body's metabolic rate is lifted. The effect of this is that once you begin to lose weight, you keep it off more than you would by simply dieting. So it is important to do some resistance training, though one or two sessions a week is plenty for the goals of fitness and weight loss.

So just keep it up, give it a few months to work - remember, you have to be consistent, one month of training, one month resting is not really that effective, it should be a steady training period over many months to really see great results.