Question
Posted by: Aya | 2010-06-08

am i on the right track?

dear doc

2 weeks ago i started excercising and eating well,my goal is to lose weight,i do a combination of jogging and power walking everyday for an hour,but not on sundays,unfotunately i dont have the best food to eat for my diet,im currently unemployed and i cant afford to buy veggies and fruit every week,but i try to make the best of what i have,the time now is 12 noon, i had an orange for breakfast and a slice of low GI bread with a tea spoon of peanut butter,for lunch i had a cup of basmati rice with some chicken livers and mixed veggies,for dinner i will probably have soup and a dumpling,i want to optimise my weight loss but i dont want to feel hungry,i drink 8 glasses of water a day and i snack inbetween meals with a slice of bread with jam,am i doing anything wrong,i want to see results,waking up in the freezing winter to jog is not nice but i want to improve my health,and is it advisable to have a cheat day(when you can eat all the bad stuff but in moderation,i love chocolate)please help.

Aya

Dear Aya
Congratulations on turning over a new leaf and for doing your exercise despite the freezing weather. The diet you describe is adequate, but please try and have some additional vegies and fruit - these need not be expensive, for example cabbage, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and sweet peppers are rich in protective vit C and beta-carotene. Buy fruits that are in season because they cost less like oranges and grapefruit and are rich in vit C. Then unless you are allergic to milk, please make a plan to include 2-3 servings of dairy in your diet to provide you with the calcium you need to prevent osteoporosis and brittle bones and also to help with the slimming. You can buy low-fat milk powder and use if with a porridge in the morning and make your own yoghurt or cottage cheese. Surf on the Internet for recipes to make homemade yoghurt and cottage cheese. Just use the reconstituted powdered milk instead of fresh milk.
Keep up the good work with the exercise

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-06-08

Dear Aya
Keep up the good work with the exercise