Question
Posted by: Hungry | 2009-07-20

Am I on the right track

Hi Doc,

I' ve decided to loose a few kg' s for the summer and have adopted a new eating plan as well as 30 min' s of cardio 5 days a week. A typical food week for me would be as follows:

Breakfast: 2 weetbix with banana, some cinnamon &  milk (my only milk for the day) or special k and low fat fruit yoghurt

Lunch: 2x Wholewheat sandwhich with baby spinach leaves, tomato &  reduced fat cheese, or 4x ryvita' s with fat free cottage cheese, a chicken breast, cucumber, tomato, more spinach or tuna salad

Dinner: Grilled chicken breast, a vegetable &  brown rice, or a chicken stir fry, or grilled fish with veg &  brown rice

I' ve don' t add any salt to my food, have cut out sugar, coffee &  tea. I also allow myself to cheat a little on Saturdays, but nothing over the top.

My questions are -

1. Am I on the right track?
2. Are my luch portions perhaps to big?
3. How much avocado am I allowed?
4. I still seem to be craving sweet things, which when it happens, I' ll have a fruit but what else can I do to stop feeling hungry between meals?
5. I also use a little honey &  balsamic vinegar with some lemon juice &  garlic to make a glaze for the chicken. Are all those items diet friendly? (My concern is the honey)

Many thanks....

Dear Hungry
I think that you diet is reasonable and should result in weightloss. But I cannot understand why you are "only" having one serving of milk a day. Adult women need at least 3 servings of fat-free or low-fat milk or yoghurt a day to provide them with the 1000 mg of calcium they require for good health. In addition higher calcium intakes promotes weightloss. To answer your questions: 1) Yes, except for the milk/yoghurt, 2) I don't think your lunches are too big, but if you get hungry in the afternoon, it may be a good idea to split the lunch into two and have the second half at about 4 pm to stave off the late afternoon dip in blood glucose levels. 3) Have a fruit when you feel hungry (esp apples with the peel or an orange or berries which are all low energy foods). You can also have 100 ml of fat-free yoghurt when you feel hungry to boost your calcium intake and stop the hunger pangs. 4) Avocados are rich in fat and energy, so one portion is 1/8 of a medium fruit. 5) The dressings will not prevent weightloss and will help to make your food taste better.
The combination of this diet and 5 sessions of cardio exercise per week should help you to lose those kgs.