Question
Posted by: Broken String | 2010/05/28

Am I on my way down again?

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Manic Depression at the beginning of last year. I was treated by a psychologist and a psychiatrist in a mental clinic. I kept on seeing them until February this year. I decided to stop all my meds as I was always drowsy and had a terrible memory. I felt like a zombie the whole time. This week I''ve been feeling low. Every day lower and lower.
This morning when I woke up, I was in such a bad mood and I''m not myself. I want to sleep the whole time. I don''t want to eat or do anything else. I''ve been thinking about suicide today. I''m just not able to leave my 4 year old as I don''t know of anyone that will take care of him the way I do.
Wow, I''ve always said that I don''t know why parents commit suicide and take the lives of their children as well. I wont ever hurt my child. I still think of it as murder! But in whose care do I leave him?
I don''t want to go through all this AGAIN!

Oh dear. If one has such a disorder ( and many others known to medicine ) it is very rarely wise to just stop the meds. If they are causing troublesome side-effects, you need to discuss this with your doc, and he could modify the dose or change the meds, to find a combination that works but without the severe side-effects.
From your description, you might well be sinking into a depression - DO make an urgent appointment with the clinic ( urgent because it may be quicker and easier to rectify things if one starts early rather than late ) and get the situation reviewed and discuss treatment options, telling them about the side-effects you found such a problem last time.
You CAN get the help you need and deseve and get out of this awful level of depression, and with appropriate meds and treatment, could prevent or limit further episodes, leaving you able to enjoy life, both in yourself and with your fine child

1