Posted by: Ella | 2009-10-28

Am i normal?

im starting to worry

i stopped birth conrtol on 21/03/2009 and im still not pregnant.

i was on the nur-isterate injection for 5 years or so and im really worried that i am infertile.

The first 3 months after stopping the pill my cycle was regular - 26 days.

after that it went to 28 days for a few months, then last month it came 4 days early at 24-25 days?!

today i have a think white sticky discharge (last period started on 10/10/2009 ended on 13/10/09 - it was very heavy) so now i dont know if this means im ovulating? or that my period is about to arrive or what?

what would you suggest?

Dear Ella

It takes an average between 3 and 6 months for the injectable form of contraception to wear out of your body, during this period of time your periods may be irregular. You should only worry after a year of stopping contraception and still not conceiving as to possible causes of not falling pregnant. In your particular case, if you have just stopped the contraception on the 21/03/09 then at the earliest your ovulation should start approximately 3 months later which is June 2009, so if you have not conceived by around June 2010 then only should you start worrying.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Posted by: Haamidah | 2009-11-04

I know exactly how u feeling. It,s been thee years since i left contaceptives and i still did not fall pregnant. is there any one out there who could tell me what to do? I posted a letter in this forum (see not ovulating) but havent had any reply. I' m so desprate some days i' m just totaly depressed about it. When i see a baby my whole body just cries inside.

Reply to Haamidah
Posted by: Ella | 2009-10-29

oh anon i feel so bad for us! im only 26, was 25 when i started trying. im trying to relax and be patient but i get days when my whole being just yearns for a little child to come running shouting mommy mommy! it breaks my heart some days

Reply to Ella
Posted by: Anon | 2009-10-29

Just to let you know, you are normal. I am 25 years of age, left contaception more then two years ago, was only on it for about 7 months. I am still struggling to fall pregnant. I dont know what to do anymore, because the gynae said there is no problem with me, i do ovulate, and do have folicals, etc, so yeah, i will pray for you as i know the feeling.

Posted by: Babe | 2009-10-28

perefectl... contraceptive normaly take about 18mnths to leave your system and this is what you hv to concieder.

women are most fertile between the ages of 20 and 24. As women grow older the likelihood of getting pregnant falls steeply while the likelihood of infertility rises sharply.

At 35 you' re half as fertile as when you were at 25  at 40 you' re half as fertile as when you were 35. This means that it can suddenly take much longer to get pregnant when you hit your late thirties or early forties and you may have problems conceiving at all
Most couples (92 per cent) will conceive within two years if they do not use contraception and have regular sex. Regular sex means making love every two to three days throughout your cycle  this optimises your chances of conceiving.

That leaves 8 per cent of couples in the general population who do not conceive within two years

Reply to Babe