Question
Posted by: b | 2010-07-15

am i losing my mind

good morning,i suffer from anxiety and post traumatic stress, i sometimes feel disconnected from myself -is this normal and i am now so scared that i am going to disconnect completly and not know who i am and what i am doing,so much so that i am too scared to go anywhere, i just prefer to be at home with my family so they can be there in case something happens?i am not taking any meds - i tried but they just made everything worse.

I am quite sure that nobody with the wisdom to visit this forum is losing their mind ; though I understand that in various circumstances it might feel like that.
In anxiety it is not unusual for somone to dissociate and feel unreal and cut off / disconnected, mainly at times when they are growing anxious. And if you have PTSD ( not PTS ) this can also be part of the condition. Fortunately, though these can be alarming experiences, they are not likely to lead to a more complete disconnection of the sort you fear.
There are various ways to help anxiety and also PTSD, including some medications and some psychological treatments like CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ).
I do hope that you are receivin a proper ongoing assessment and advice from a proper specialist psychiarist, and not relying on a GP, as such a complicated situation needs specialist assessment and advice on choosing the most promising treatments. If you are presently only with a GP, do see a specialist soon for a re-eveluation and a discussion of treatment options. If you are already seeing a specialist, consider a second opinion, after a thorough discussion with your present specialist of your difficulties.

2
Posted by: lilly | 2010-07-18

try seeing a psychologist if you can afford it
A

Reply to lilly