Question
Posted by: Nia | 2010/07/20

Am I infertile

I have always had difficult period. Over the last two years I have been developing cyst - it comes and it goes. The doctor even suspected endometriosis, but I never went for further testing. I am married for 6 months, we have not been on any form of contraceptive yet have not fallen pregnant. I am not sure whether I am able to fall pregnant or not. The question lingers on my brain every single day.

I had it all planned, married for two years and then fall pregnant. Problem is, I dont know if I should go on a contraceptive or not since I dont know what my changes of falling pregnant is in the long run. Then again I want a baby because I dont know if I can have one in the future.

Im confused. It saddens me to think that I might not be able to have babies. What is even worst is that because of my fear and possible infertility, the yearning is getting worst by the day. Please advice.. I would really appreciate it

Dear Nia

The fact that you have only been trying for 6 months does not mean that you have an infertility problem. The definition of infertility is the inability for a couple to conceive after 1 year of trying. So at this one would not be able to say whether you are infertile or not. You also haven’t tried long enough, as a general rule one starts only investigating after a year. However it appears that the fact that you are not able to fall pregnant is causing a major stress in your life. For this reason it may be worth while for you to see your gynaecologist and a few basic tests such as hormonal tests and an HSG can be done to ascertain if you have any obvious problems falling pregnant or not. If your tests come back as normal this will however give you peace of mind and you may be in a better position to try and fall pregnant without all the stresses that are present at the moment.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/07/27

Dear Nia

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Clare | 2010/07/21

HI Nia, you should definately go for further tests. Delaying it will only make you feel worse. Do you know if you ovulate? if not you might need to be prescribed clomid. If you do ovulate then perhaps the dr might want to check your ovaries and if your tubes are open. Your husband might also need to be tested to make sure there are no problems there. If you have endo the dr should be able to remove them (depending on the extent) Dont fret about anything yet, rather go see a gynae who can assist you. Good luck

Reply to Clare