Question
Posted by: Camy | 2011/10/07

Am i in trouble

Hi Doc,
Thank you for a wonderful forum!

Please help me as i have a feeeling i might be getting myself into trouble,After the birth of my child 5 months ago i joined the gym and i have lost 10kg i have been trying to also watch/ cut out /limit certain foods eg starch fats etc . however i find my self over eating at times and when that happens i get so guilty and uncomforable that i go to the toilet and vomit some of the food out. My main worry is that im breastfeeding , will this hurt the baby / milk supply . Iam also worried about myself as i think i have developed stomach ulcers.and i am too obsessed with weight loss.Thanking you in advance.

Dear Camy
Thank you for your kind words which cheer me up no end! Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy and the fact that you are breastfeeding your baby which is one of the most important and valuable gifts any mother can give her child. By breastfeeding your baby for as long as possible, you are giving your child protection against a whole host of diseases and preventing future problems, including future obesity. So it is particularly important that you don't do anything that interferes with your breastfeeding! I too am worried that you are getting yourself into trouble. If you induce vomiting after eating foods that you regard as 'bad' and because you feel guilty, then this could well affect your milk supply and also deprive your baby of vital nutrients. In addition this can cause you to develop deficiencies because your will not be absorbing the nutrients you require for good health. And on top of this you mention that you may have developed stomach ulcers. From what you say, I would recommend the following: 1) Please go for a medical checkup so that the dr can determine if you do have stomach ulcers because if you do and they are not treated, you can develop bleeding ulcers and may require emergency surgery - that is NOT what you and baby need right now. 2) Please go for some professional help to a clinical psychologist or an Eating Disorder Clinic because inducing vomiting after eating because of guilt is indicative of an eating disorder. This is a serious situation that requires expert help. You can ask your dr to refer you to a clinical psychologist or an Eating Disorder Clinic. Get this problem sorted out right now for your own sake and that of your baby.
Holding thumbs for you two

2
Posted by: cammy | 2011/10/10

Thank you doc , i much appreciate your valuable imput.

Reply to cammy

Dear Camy
Holding thumbs for you two