Question
Posted by: keletso | 2011/08/03

am i in the wrong career

Goodday,

I am very depressed/stressed at the moment and i feel as if am doing 2 ppls jobs. i work very hard but still does not get to finish all work. i am now a year with company X and since joining this company i felt as if im in the wrong career, by working as HR business partner. i think this job is not suited to my personality. i am a quiet person and im not bold person who would readily speak their mind. i service 97 employees, including 7 line managers

the management style a company x is very poor. you are expected to figure the work out and if you make a mistake it gets escalated to the CEO. the operations manager is one person who likes to escalate matters and would copy everyonne in the email, including the CEO. and i do not report to the ops manager but report to the hr manager.

the ops man wants things to done fast and does not want me to check with my manager.\, because the 2 hate each other. and she likes to embarass me a lot. i feel like im being bullied a lot since joining company X and sometimes i want to resign. i work until 4h30 pm then work additional hours from home just to catch up with my work.

at the previous company i worked ,my hr manager used to say that my strong point is admin. now i think i must quit this job and just get an admin post? or must I ask my manager for a junior job that is not too stressful? previously i talked to him about the heavy workload but he said i must work hard and put in overtime (but overtime is not paid for). im willing to take a salary cut of about R50K or more. my CTC is R390K.

any junior post is ok, as long as i can pay the bills. i struggle to sleep and nite and many times i take sleeping tablets. my work environment is very harsh and we are expected to deliver the work very fast and it needs to be of quality and there is lack of manager support. from the 1st month i joined company x, i felt that i have entered hell. i am seeing a psychologist next week but in the meantime how do I handle the stress.

As you are apparently currently working in HR, think through this - if someone working in the company came to you, with exactly yout problem - what advice would you give them ?
Its quite easy to land up in a job that just doesn't suit your skills, and/or interests, and which allows you to neither to feel really effective nor really satisfied.
Maybe counselling could help you to find better ways of avoiding and handling your personal stress in whatever job you hold ; and I agree with "agree" that if changing to a job that makes you happier involves at least initially taking a somewhat lower-paid and less senior post, this might be better done at a diferent company, especially as the patterns of executive warfare you describe in your present company sound dysfunctional and unpleasant.

2
Posted by: Agree | 2011/08/04

I agree with you. I think you should resign and find a job in Admin. If Admin is your strong point and you feel more comfortable in an admin roll, you will be a happier person.
Unfortunately HR is one of those jobs where you cannot make mistakes, must be on the ball and sharp all the time.
Go find an admin job and be happy !! No use sacrificing your health.
Alos, not a good idea to stay in the same company and move a couple of steps " down" . This will not be good for your self immage and everybody will obviously think you failed.

Reply to Agree