Question
Posted by: Karen | 2010-10-05

Am I in shock

Yesterday I learned that my husband who is in his early 30''s has a medical condtion that will need constant medication and a special diet for the rest of his life. I have not eaten anything since I heard the news and I feel nauseous and depressed. Am I in shock? I feel like I am not really with it at the moment. How can I best deal with this situation?

Its very understandable for a time after receiving any bad news, to feel shocked, unbelieving, and upset. To help deal with this better ( whatever the situation, he will deserve and need your support and encouragement ) it would be helpful to get very clear what the actual condition is, its name, its outlook, its treatment and what one can best do about it.
The idea that it may need chronic medication mmay sound alarming, as may the idea that it may not be curable - but in fact medicine does not often "cure", while it can be pretty good at enabling us to lead a better quality of life for a long time.
It sounds likely that with reasonable care, your husband should be able to lead an essentially normal life for an essentially normal life-span, by just taking good care of himself.
Check also whether there are patient support and self-care groups for whatever this disorder is, as these can be very helpful, and can pool the discoveries of numerous other people as to how best to live well with the disorder

2
Posted by: Me | 2010-10-05

Is it Chrohn''s Disease?

Reply to Me