Question
Posted by: Corne | 2010/07/01

Am I holding myself back

Its weird chatting to a doctor online but here we go. I am a father of two who loves my children to death but sometimes I get so aggressive and afterwards I dont even know why. When I play with my son I play to rough. I am not sure why I get so agressive so quickly. After these agression spells I tend to apologise and hug him and nurture him why ? I have never seriously hurt him but its a type of bullying I dont understand why? Eveyone tells me wat a good father I am and I would love to take the credit for it but I know the feeling when this bully agression thing hits and I dont think it is normal.

Do you have concerns ( which previous generations more commonly had ) about whether a dad ought to be rough and toughen the lad up versus being nurturing and pleasant ?

Not that long back the latter was the norm - it didn't do growing boys any good, and often left them confused, and experiencing difficulties in demonstrating the gentleness that is so much a part of manliness, which doesn't solely consist of being rough and tough.

How did your own father relate to you ? Often, in ways we don't altogether realize, the model of how to be fatherly is one we absorb from what we see and experience.

3

Shame on you for beating a dog - no matter how young you were. Sies.

Posted by: corne | 2010/07/01

My father wasn''t around much when I was young as he flew from country to country as he was apart of the special forces during that time. The problem I am having is that I remember that I also had this frustration when I was young and I actually beat our dog and hurt him because of this.Four years ago I was in an abuse relationship in though not physical, I was emotionally abused to such a state that I became a physical abuser. I grew more and more aggressive up to the point where I had to get out . Evey one in my family says that this relationship changed me and at first I didn''t want to accept it but now as time goes by I realize that I have a low self esteem due to this abuse. This happened three years ago, could this still have a influence in me? How do I get my self esteem,worth back ? I miss being my old bubbly self.

Reply to corne