Question
Posted by: WhatToDo | 2008/09/22

Am I going overboard?

Hi CS,

Of recent the crime in South Africa has drastically been on the increase and as the days go by one becomes more concerned about the safety of their loved ones. My gf at times has to work alone in the office the entire day in the middle of durban. There is no other staff member around because they are all working at a diffrent office location. Due to the fact that she is working alone the whole day I do get a bit concerned about her safety. I tend to sms her during the course of the day to check whether she is okay. I even ask her to log on into gmail chat so that by seeing her status as " currently online"  I get some reassurance that she is okay. Well we do have the occasional chat ofcourse. Today she tells me that she will not log on and that she is fine and that I should be a " Big Boy"  about this. Do you think i' m overdoing it? I just want to know that she is safe.

Do they have appropriate office security ? For instance, if she is alone in the office, there could be a locked door or security gate ? Maybe you can set up her cellphone for her to be able to call you at one button push if anything went wrong ; checking that she's OK is a problem because however often you check that, she may not be OK the very next minute --- its a major amount of intrusion without major benefits. Maybe you are worrying too much --- and if you over do the checking, it might paradoxically make her LESS cautious about looking after herself. She sounds competnet and able to care for herself as well as any of us can

3
Posted by: janet | 2008/09/24

What to do - don' t do that to yourself - you cannot control everything - I was where you are today - its like being in jail of our own making. Let things happen as they were and just trust that God will take care of your loved ones. Take care not to allienate your girlfriend with all your worrying.

Reply to janet
Posted by: WhatToDo | 2008/09/22

She does let me know that she reaches the office safely. And judging from what she tells me the office " seems"  safe.But I constantly have this fear about her safety. Maybe I should just stop worrying so much.

Reply to WhatToDo
Posted by: Maria | 2008/09/22

I understand your concerns but you mustn' t crowd her. What is her office like, is she fairly safe once she is inside? Perhaps she can just let you know when she is safely there?

Reply to Maria