Question
Posted by: Sar | 2010/01/21

Am i going insane

hi Dr I need some help i am a working mom with 2 adorable kids one is 6months and the elder on is 2 1/2 years, the thing is i am on eltroxin, and i noticed just snap at anything nowadays i have no paitience with them, the elder one is really a good child but if she spreads her toys etc i just shout at her, what is happening with me, i want to bring my kids up with all the love and affection as possible please help me, how do i go about seeing to it that i do this

thanks

Its impossible at a distance to guess what's the real problem here - only the doctor who has seen and presumably has thoroughly assessed you, could make a more useful diagnosis.
I wonder why you are taking Eltroxin, thyroid hormone. Sometimes it seems to be given for no really good reason. It is used where a diagnosis of under-functioning of the thyroid has been properly made, to treat that condition.
Maybe you have, independently, developed an anxiety disorder - though if for any reason the dosage of Eltroxin is too high for you ( presumably blood tests have been done to check this ) high levels of thyroid hormone, as occurs naturally in people with an over-active thyroid, can produce a picture very like an anxiety disorder, including irritability.

1