Question
Posted by: Gail | 2011/10/19

Am I eating well enough to loose weight?

I need to loose about 12-15kg''s.
Please see below what I generally eat, and advise me if this is okay or where I can change things for the better.

8am - half a cup of skimmed milk with two tablespoons of my cereal mix (all bran mixed with muslei) plus one teaspoon of crushed seed mix (linseed, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame seeds)

11am - one fruit

lunch - salad or steamed veg with a small piece of meat of some sort.

4pm - a small fat free plain yogurt OR a fruit OR a small block of mozarella with 2 provitas

supper- salad and veg with a piece of meat (+- half a chicken breast worth)

I generally have a rule that I do not eat fruit after 5pm, and do not eat carbs after 3pm (Does this make sense and a difference?)
Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Dear Gail
The diet you describe should certainly help you to lose weight and except for a lack of calcium, is reasonably balanced. Adult women require 1200 mg of calcium a day which can be provided by having 3 servings of fat-free milk, yoghurt (1 cup = 1 serving) or cottage cheese (1/2 cup = 1 serving) or other cheeses (30g = 1 serving). At the moment you include 1/2 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of yoghurt/less than 30g of Mozzarella, thus you still need 2 more servings of low-fat or fat-free dairy products to provide the calcium you require. Research has indicated that diets rich in calcium obtained from low-fat diary products promote weightloss. There is no scientific proof that not eating fruit or other carbohydrates after 3 pm will make any difference to weightloss. The most important factor is a reduction in energy intake and an increase in energy out (exercise).

1

Dear Gail