Posted by: Y | 2009-07-20

Am I eating too much to loose weight?

Dear Dietdoc,

My daily menu looks more or less like this:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup cooked oats, 200 ml buttermilk, 4 dried apricots halves, 12 raw almonds

Morning Snack: 3 provitas with 2 heaped tablespoons of l/f cottage cheese and slices of cucumber

Lunch: 1 wholewheat coctail roll or 1 slice of low-GI bread with 1 teaspoon butter,+ 1 cup homemade veggie or lentil soup

Afternoon Snack: 1 small l/f flavoured yoghurt (e.g. 100 ml Nutriday)

Dinner: 2 protein portions (e.g. lean steak, or fish), with 2 cups veggies

Late night snack: 2 heaped teaspoons of milo made with 200 ml l/f milk

I tend to be hungrier in the morning, which is why I eat a carb with my morning snack as well as with breakfast and lunch.

I started my diet last week Monday weighing in at 93 kgs (I' m 1.67 m tall). I didn' t cheat once - only had an extra portion of carbs on Friday since we we' re eating out (chose a tomato-based pasta and only ate half of what they dished up).

However, this morning I see that I' ve picked up 1.4 kg, which is really demoralising when I ate a lot less than usual and weighed and measured everything.

Exercise is 1/2 hour of playing / walking with my dog every evening.

What am I doing wrong?

Dear Y
I think one week of a diet is not long enough to judge if you will lose weight on it or not, and I would encourage you to continue with the diet. The only changes I would make it to use low-fat milk instead of buttermilk and to have slightly less protein (about 50g) for supper. Also try to make sure that you are doing aerobic exercise (brisk walking) with your doggie, as this does promote weightloss. Remember that it is not the carbs that cause weight gain (they only contain 16 kJ per gram), but the fats we add to them (fat contains 37 kJ per gram). If you find that you are still not losing after another week, try halving your snacks and cut out the Milo which is quite high in energy.
Give this regimen and yourself a bit more time.