Question
Posted by: Kelly | 2011-10-11

Am i doing it right?

Hi there,

I am currently doing skull crushers 3 sets of 15 with 3 kgs dumbells (im 27 and 78kgs at 1.65 m tall)
And hammer curls 3 sets of 15, every night, and without fail, i am not stiff or sore in the mornings...
I push so hard, and it feels like the right muscles are burning and aching, but i am NEVER stiff..

I have asked ppl for advise on if im doing things wrong, and they helped me.. .and yet again, today i am not stiff...
What is going on with me???

Kelly

Hi Kelly

You don't necessarily get stiff in order to see change. Stiffness happens because a muscle is not used to the load it is being placed under, and it has to involve a very specific type of muscle contraction, called an eccentric contraction. What you're doing is an exercise that you've become familiar with, your muscles are able to withstand the physical changes that cause stiffness. That doesn't mean you're not getting the benefit - the burn and ache WHILE you train is evidence of that.

I think you'd find that if you went down in weight and did say 25 reps, you might get stiff (because you'd do each movement faster and that loads the muscle differently), and if you increase the weight to say 4kg and do fewer reps, you'd also see a difference. But as I say, as long as you're getting stronger, you're still getting the training benefit, so you don't need to force stiffness in order to get some benefit.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-10-13

Hi Kelly

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc