Question
Posted by: Cheeky | 2008-10-29

Am I doing alright?

Hi there!

I' ve just started a new fitness regime and it seems to be working. I' d just like to know from you if what I am doing is good enough?

I live kind of down the road from the gym - its a 20 minute walk - so I' ve started walking to gym, doing about 30 minutes of cardio at gym, like 10 minutes hard cycling, 10 minutes stepper and 5 minutes rowing, and then I walk home for another 20 minutes. I do this about 3-4 times per week and I am also playing tennis - about 1.5 hour game twice a week. Is what I am doing enough to get fit and combine with a healthy lifestyle, or should I be doing more?

Thanks!!

Hi Cheeky

It certainly is a good enough programme to begin with, probably enough to even keep at for a long time. That is unfortunately a question that I can't answer accurately, because there are too many factors affecting it to be able to say yes or no. There is diet, your current weight, the intensity of your exericse training, the volume, the frequence, genetics etc.

So many factors affect it that it is therefore a guess. Looking at each one individually helps though. In your case, the volume and the frequency of training are not too bad - 5 days a week is good, between 30 and 45 minutes per session is also very good, you get even more than this when you add in the walk to the gym, which is great, keep it there. So that means you are doing those components optimally. The missing ingredient, often, is intensity. It's difficult to measure intensity but many people make the mistake of either going too hard, or too easy. Too hard leads to injury, too easy leads to slow progress. So you have to find a balance. Generally, 45 minutes of exercise that leaves you feeling tired by not exhausted is good. that's what you aim for.

So my assessment of your programme is that it should work. Again, there are factors outside exercise that can easily undermine your plans, and so just be aware of this and make sure that diet is optimal.