Question
Posted by: nneoma | 2011/10/22

am i depressed or?

i have identified with all but one of the symptoms of depression for as long as i can remember (over15yrs now) though the severity increased after the birth of my daughter.i complained to my doctor but he (and my husband) bothfrowned at me and insisedt i snap out of it and take charge of my life. i,ve also been diagnosed with PCOS(2months ago) plus i,m still having that tingly breastfeeding feeling in my breasts (my child is 3yrs now).i''ve been trying to conceive for close to 3yrs now but no success. could it be depression or is it the PCOS or is it the thyroid or is it prolactin. i''m confused, pls help as there isn''t much help around here.

Some people, rather than suffering Major Depression, suffer Dysthymia, a sort of slightly less severe depression but spread out over years. And pregnancy and child-borth can worsen this by adding a Post Natal Depression.
Anyone who urges ANYONE to "snap out of it" is an idiot with no understanding of people and certainly ignorant of mental health. Such a doc should be "snapped out" of practice and nout of any responsibility for your health care.
Don't work on this with a GP or gynae, but insist on seeing a proper specialist psychiatrist for a full and comprehensive assessment and a discussion of treatment options.

2

Posted by: Maria | 2011/10/22

You certainly could be depressed. There is a form of long term depression called dysthymia, where the symptoms are not so severe that you cannot function but you never feel quite well and you don''t enjoy life like you can. I suggest you get an opinion from a different doctor, a psychiatrist if you can, as you can be greatly helped by medication, talk therapy or a combination of the two. And nobody can just " snap out"  of depression, don''t ever go back to the doctor who has such an unhelpful attitude.

Reply to Maria