Question
Posted by: Guilty | 2011/09/19

Am i depressed

2010-11-27 I had a baby girl she was born with Hypoxic Ischemic Encephalopathy. I feel as a first time mother i failed i should have done more to protect my baby. I had an option of going for a Ceaser but because i am so terrified of pain i went the alternate way.

I feel if i went for a ceaser my baby would be fine today. Everyday i look at my baby with such guilt. Because i couldnt take pain for a few weeks she now will suffer long term.

I am terrified o have another baby again......

I Constantly cry about it at night And i dont know how to deal with it. I cant talk about it. I sometimes feel like i can just explode with the thought of it......

i dont know if i am going through depression or is it just a phase.

but for the rest of my life i will have to look at my baby with absolute guilt.

I fear when she starts talking and she asks me why she not like other kids, how will i explain to her that i was too selfish and thats what caused it.....

I destroyed my babys life :(

Such sad things happen, but I haven't come across any case in which it was due to anything the mother did or did not do. YOu made the best decision you could think of in the situation you faced, not to be selfish, and not presumably having been informed of any such risk to the baby.
Maybe things would have gone better with a caesar, maybe not. And your doctors should have provided and re-assured you of, adequate pain control through the relevant period, whatever option was chosen.
But they should also have insisted on providing you with proper counselling from a suitable counsellor, to help you talk through what happened and how you feel about it.

1