Question
Posted by: Xoliswa Mtandeki | 2010/03/26

Am I depressed

I have a 5 month old son, I thought I was coping but today I cant stop crying.Since my son was born he has not been sleeping he sleeps about 2 -4 hours but any time after midnight he wakes up and wants attention.My son is not ill he is a happy baby, everybody is telling me I should suck it up(Im a black women) and I should be grateful that he is not ill.Sometimes I feel like im being selfish other times I feel like my life has been turned upside down I have put on weight and I feel depressed about that and I feel like I am not getting any support from my patner.Please Help

For a variety of reasons, some kids have more problems than others with sleeping - but they also respond very much to their mother's mood, so the more you get depressed ( and depression after childbirth is common ) and the more you get anxious and agitated - the more will he get fractious and agitated too. You're not being selfish - you're being a normal woman - nobody finds this sort of sudden change in their routine easy. The weight gain will probably be temporary, especially if you stick to a good diet and exercise progam. A manjor factor may be what you say in your last sentence - the lack of support from your partner. Men have to realize that causing a pregnancy is terribly easy and in no way the mark of a man - supporting thweir partner and being an effective spouse and parent is what shows thether they're a man or a mouse

2
Posted by: Happiness | 2010/03/26

A support system means a lot when it comes to children. If you have to do it alone its almost impossible. When I had my first child the nanny was sharing a house with us, so whenever she is free she would pick up the baby and attend him. During the nights she also did the same thing, as a result it was a breeze.

But when I was pregnant with the second child we bought a house where she can stay in an outside room. She was nolonger there to pick up the slack and the age gap between the children was close. So after she had knocked off I will find myself changing two diapers at the same time! My husband was still working a bit far so he came home on weekends. It was hell. Also being black and expected to be strong, I din''t really complain. But I decided no more children!

Reply to Happiness