Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2009-12-07

Am I depressed

Dear Doc
My husband and I have recently started marriage counselling with a psychologist. During our last session I told the psychologist that I was treated for PND from January to March this year (Prohexal).
2008 was an especially difficult year for me in terms of my career, finances and family.
I was feeling very down and often thought of suicide.
However, my career made a turn for the better in Feb and soon thereafter I stopped the Prohexal, because I feel much, much better.
The psychologist asked me if I was certain that I am really no longer depressed, because my levels of irratability was not consistent with my personality profile.
Lately I have been experiencing difficulty sleeping although I am always tired.
Perhaps I am still depressed?
I gained alot of weight during my low time and my GP has now prescribed Duromine 30mg to assist me in losing the weight. I have now read about Ciplatrim and am wondering if this medication would be more suitable for me?
I do not want to stop the medication to help weight loss as my weight in itself will make me depressed!!!
Is there a way that I could treat depression and lose weight with one treatment?

Hallo Lucy
Duramine may cause depression - be careful. You could rather ask your doctor to try something like Wellbutrin for you - this is an antidepressant that has weight loss as a side effect. It is an "old" drug so it does have some side effects and you can't use it if you have a tendency towards epilepsy.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-12-07

Hallo Lucy

Reply to cyberdoc