Question
Posted by: Lady | 2012/04/04

Am I cynical?

I am 33 years old and single - completely single, not even dating. The thing is that I am very OK with this. I just feel that if love is not happening for me, life goes on. A lot of people are in love and they are loved back - congratulations to them, but if it doesn''t happen for me, so be it. My friends get very annoyed with this attitude of mine. They say I am being negative and I must not give up. They even want to fix me up with poeple. I really resent this cos I feel ok without a relationship.

I look at most problems people have - and they stem from relationships. People are hurting so much in relationships, yet they stay because they cannot be single. What''s so wrong with being single. I feel like love is over-rated. I really feel that I don''t NEED it - not now at least. I don''t believe I have to have a man just for the sake of having a man. If someone comes along that loves me, great - if not, I am not going to lose sleep over it.

It is very OK indeed to feel OK about yourself ( unless, perhaps you are a banker, politician or serial killer ). If your attitude was that love will forever be impossible and that you will remain deliberately closed to it, that would be unfortunate, as it may turn up at any time, and like other good things in life, it's wise to remain open to such possibilities. But to be content and satisfied with the status quo, and to decide not to be devastated if love doesn't form a major part of your life, is fine.
Relationships are not compulsory, and do indeed provide a source of misery for many people. No relationship is much better than a miserable one.

3
Posted by: Phil | 2012/04/04

Well lady, that''s makes two of us..  -)

Reply to Phil
Posted by: Me | 2012/04/04

No I don''t believe for one minute you are cynical. I would rather say you are confident, with yourself, your emotions, and your character. I do believe that you should rather be proud of yourself, not worried. There are very few that can be this sure of themselves. It is an exemplary trait.
I congratualte you.

Reply to Me