Question
Posted by: Shirley | 2011/07/25

Am i crazy?

Plase help me! i was recently diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. up until now i thought this was just something that people used to get attention. not anymore. its more real than i imagined. i have been put on meds and they really seem to help for me. my husband however, us using this as a tool to make me think i am totally insane. he constanly tells me i am doing things or have done and said things that i know i havent and then tells me afterwards that i am crazy. he i trying to make me think i have lost me mind. when he does this i ask my children if i have done the things he has said i have done and they say i haven''t. why is he doing this to me???? is is so important for him to try and have control? i cant live with it anymore, and when i tell him he turns the tables and tell me im -|- ing mad and i must stop talking shit and he wont allow me to ruin his life by leaving. he tells me i have stolen 20 years of his life and he wont allow me to just walk out. what must i do??????

Well, of course, claims to be Bipolar, like most other diagnoses, COULD be misused by some people to get attention or for other unworthy reasons, but it is a serious, common and very real disorder, too.
The way your husband is responding would extraordinarily unhelpful. Why is he trying to take advantage of this health problem, by trying to convince you the situation is much worse than it actually is ?
Maybe you need to arrange for him to meet your psychiatrist who can explain what is and what ISN'T wrong with you. And if he pretends to be seriously concerned that you're more nuts than you think, then he should be happy to have a chance to discuss this with your shrink. It is him who is sounding disturbed, at this stage. Liza is right that what he is doing amounts to emotional abuse, and that you should keep a record of his acts of cruelty and seek help for yourself to deal with this

3

Posted by: Liza | 2011/07/25

No you''re not crazy. My ex-husband insists that I have psychopathic tendencies because I''m bipolar. He doesn''t even know the definition of the word psychopath.

What your husband is doing, is emotional abuse. Plain and simple. And abuse is NEVER okay or justified. Please contact POWA and start planning a safe exit.

Bipolar doesn''t make a person do things that they cannot remember afterwards. Never ever ever. So obviously your husband is the one who should use toilet paper to wipe his mouth after speaking.

To help with any future legal issues due to divorce, it''s a very good idea to keep an abuse diary. When he threatens you, write it down in the diary. When he lies about things you have done, write it down in the diary. This log of abuse will be priceless if he tries to do anything funny during the divorce like trying to gain custody of the kids.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Huh | 2011/07/25

He is the one that is mad in my opinion.

Reply to Huh